(Matt Demlein, WRVA)

Real ID Available In October

Will Need Documents In Order To Get

September 04, 2018 - 12:58 pm

Richmond, Va. (newsradiowrva.com) -  Virginia will start offering REAL ID driver's licenses starting next month.  In October 2020, current licenses will not be allowed to be used to fly domestically or enter some federal facilities (passports will work, however).  

In order to get one (which is optional), you will need $10, as well as several documents, which are listed below:


Proof of Social Security Number

1. Social Security card (Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers not accepted)

2. U.S. Internal Revenue Service tax reporting W-2 form

3. Payroll check stub issued by employer


Primary Proof of Virginia Residency

1. Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement or residential rental/lease agreement

2. U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation form or postmarked U.S. mail with forwarding address label

3. Utility bill, not more than two months old, issued to the applicant (cell phone bills are not accepted)


Secondary Proof of Virginia Residency

1. Postmarked mail displaying the applicant’s name and current address

2. Official document or correspondence from a federal, state, or local government agency displaying the applicant’s name and current address (DMV-issued documents without postmarked envelope are not accepted)

3. Billing statement or other official document from a recognizable business displaying the applicant’s name and current address


Proof of Identification and Legal Presence – U.S. Citizens

1. Official birth document issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory (birth documents issued by a hospital; notifications of birth registration; and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010 are not accepted)

2. Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. passport card (temporary passports are not accepted)

3. U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization


Proof of Identification and Legal Presence – Non-U.S. Citizens

1. Unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired or expired U.S. visa and unexpired I-94 or entry stamp

2. Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (I-766) AND USCIS form I-797 displaying applicant’s name (depending on the nature and purpose of the form, the I-797 may not be accepted)

3. Unexpired Permanent Resident Card


Proof of Name Change (if applicable)

1. Marriage certificate (including same-sex marriage certificates) Note: Civil union documents are not accepted

2. Divorce decree if the decree states the change from married name to maiden name

3. Court order granting the name change